Tuesday 8 August 2017

And now for something a little more serious.

I don't make these kind of posts often, but I feel that this one is necessary as it might help explain why I post so erratically sometimes all the time.

This is just a little head's up - after seven years of relative normality, I'm back on anti-depressants as of three days ago. 


 I've been pretty low for a while now but my anxiety is at an all time high - I've had two panic attacks in as many weeks and I'm just so DONE with it kicking my arse at seemingly every opportunity.
I know many people like to keep their health issues to themselves which is totally understandable but I've always tried to be super open about mine, especially when it's a mental health issue, as unfortunately there's still a ridiculous amount of misinformation and negativity surrounding them and their treatment; something which ultimately put me off taking anything when my depression was really bad over ten years ago when I was still at school. I'd got it into my head that somehow taking meds for it was showing 'weakness' and that I was a lesser person for it which I (thankfully) eventually realised was utter bullshit.


You'd never shame someone with cancer or diabetes or a broken leg for getting treatment would you, so why is it somehow ok to do the same with mental health? I know of so many people who, like me, balked at the phrase 'mental health issue' because of the associated stigma, and it's honestly one of the worst things you could do to yourself.
My brain isn't functioning as it should, so I'm forcing it to get its act together, that's it. I am not defined by what shitty problems I have, from the aforementioned uncooperative brain to my arthritic hip or my PCOS - these are just crappy things that happen to have affected me, as they could anyone, and I refuse to let any of them be used against me. I may feel like shit most of the time, but that doesn't make me a shitty person, and I hope anyone reading this who is going through similar things feels the same way.


My hobbies have always been a huge help and a coping mechanism so I don't think this will affect things, but I did feel a little bit 'flat' the last time I was on these particular meds, so we'll just have to wait and see. I've got a few posts in progress though so I've got plenty to talk about! XD


Anyway, that's pretty much the purpose of this post, so umm, yeah, hooray for the wonders of modern medicine and for the NHS! 💓

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Christine
    I am sorry to hear that you have been feeling low and about your most recent anxiety attacks. I have witnessed some of my close family members who are going through some of the same issues as you've described, struggle with their emotional health so I appreciate just how difficult it can be sometimes.
    I believe that GOD has blessed us with the knowledge of how to alleviate some of our physical and emotional distress through certain medications, so if yours help you, then I believe that perhaps you should think of them as a Big gift in tiny packages.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you've to deal with this crap issue. :( I'm glad you found a treatment that I'm sure will help you through it. And I'm very happy to hear your hobbies give you some sort of relieve as well. Keep in mind the fact that you, by sharing so much of your hobbies, show others the importance of creativity and how it is (at times, of course) capable to bring your mind at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the antidepressants make a difference for you- going on meds made (and continues to make) such a huge difference in my life. I thinks it's great that you are willing to share on your blog and help take the stigma away. May your hobby crafting continue to be a bright spot and a respite from that dumb ol' brain's shenanigans <3

    ReplyDelete